Google & HMCT: Why Have I Selected My Brief?

Why Have I Selected My Brief? 

The brief I have chosen to do is the D&AD Google and HMCT brief from the New Blood 2020 competition briefs. It is a typography based brief where you have to communicate a real world issue through song lyrics and typography, as it is a brief by Google they encourage you to use Google Fonts for the typography. 
One of the reasons I thought that this brief would work the best for me is due to how open it is, as it is not a typical design campaign for a brand so it does not give you any brand guidelines to stick to. This means that I am able to experiment with the visuals a lot more than the other briefs and able to put my own style into the design. The area of design that I gravitate to the most is analogue design such as collage and illustration as that is where I believe my strengths lie, meaning that this brief would be perfect for me as it is open to that kind of design. However, this does not necessarily mean that I will choose to use analogue design for the visuals as I need to do some research and ideation first; this brief was just more open to it than the others. 
Another reason I chose this brief is because typography isn’t an area that I have explored much of yet, I also do not think it is a strong point of mine so I thought it would make sense to do a brief about typography now to give me a chance to see whether it is an area that I enjoy working on. 
The reasons why I did not choose one of the YCN briefs was because they did not suit the type of design that I like doing. One of the ones I did consider but did not go for was the HMV store redesign, the reason I decided against it was because in the short amount of time we have I do not think I would be able to create a concept for a new store design and visuals as 3D design is something I have never worked with before so I think it would be quite difficult to achieve in the short amount of time. I also do not think that a store design is the type of design that I would be good at as I like working for print and it is the complete opposite of that, I do think I would enjoy it but I do not think the outcome would be very good. 

Comments

Popular Posts